Cornerstone is accredited through the Mortgage Industry National Home Energy Rating System Accreditation Standard. Their systems have been reviewed by either the state energy office or Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and accredited by the Mortgage Industry Accreditation Review Committee.
Energy Ratings and Mortgages
Home Energy Ratings
Home energy ratings provide a standard measurement of a home’s energy efficiency. New and existing homes use these ratings. In new homes rating often verify energy performance for the ENERGY STAR homes program, energy efficient mortgages, and energy code compliance.
Cornerstone can help homeowners improve their home’s energy efficiency. We use energy ratings which evaluate specific cost-effective improvements. Existing homeowners receive a report displaying cost-effective options to improve their home’s energy efficiency . Obtaining an energy rating enables the homebuyer to easily evaluate the energy performance of the homes being considered.
There are two types of ratings:
- Projected ratings – Ratings performed prior to the construction of a home or prior to the installation of energy improvements to an existing home.
- Confirmed ratings – Ratings completed using data gathered from an on-site inspection, which could include performance testing of the home.
Confirmed ratings involve an on-site inspection of a home by a residential energy efficiency professional, a home energy rater. Cornerstone energy raters are trained and certified by RESNET. (Residential Energy Services Network – An accredited home national consortium of builders, bankers, utilities and government agencies)
Cornerstone’s home energy rater reviews many items:
- Insulation levels
- Window efficiency
- Wall-to-window ratios
- The heating and cooling system efficiency
- The solar orientation of the home
- The water heating system
- Performance testing, such as a blower door test, for air leakage and duct leakage, is usually part of the rating as well
Once the data is collected, the home is scored between 1 and 100, depending on its relative efficiency. The home’s estimated energy costs are also included. The energy rating is then equated to a Star rating system:
What is ENERGY STAR?
A voluntary partnership between the government and more than 9,000 organizations, including 2,500 of the nation’s home builders, ENERGY STAR is the government backed symbol for energy efficiency. The logo identifies new homes and more than 40 types of products for energy efficiency while offering the features, quality, and personal comfort that today’s consumers expect.
ENERGY STAR products include:
- Home office equipment
- Consumer electronics
- Heating and cooling equipment
On new homes, the ENERGY STAR label means:
- Significantly more efficient than standard home
- Lower utility bills
- Reduction in air pollution
Last year alone, Americans using ENERGY STAR saved enough energy to power 20 million homes and reduced greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those from 18 million cars, while saving $9 billion in energy costs.
Contact us today for your free ENERGY STAR consultation!
How do homes qualify as ENERGY STAR?
ENERGY STAR homes are significantly more efficient than standard homes. Home builders use a variety of features to achieve this high efficiency.
How much more efficient? To qualify, homes must be at least 15% more efficient than the International Energy Conservation Code, or 15% better than the state energy code, whichever is greater.
Features contributing to efficiency:
- Effective Insulation
- Properly installed insulation in floors, walls and attics
- Ensures even temperature throughout house
- Uses less energy
- Lowers utility costs
- Leads to quieter, more comfortable home
High-performance Windows and advance coatings and construction
• Helps keep heat in during winter, out during summer.
• Blocks damaging ultraviolet sunlight avoiding discoloring of carpets and furnishings
Tight Construction and Tight Ducts
Advanced techniques for sealing holes and cracks in home’s “envelope” and in heating and cooling ducts
- Improves comfort and indoor air quality
- Lowers utility and maintenance costs
More Efficient and Properly Installed Heating and
Cooling Equipment and Systems:
- Uses less energy
- Reduce utility bills
- Deliver higher quality with greater durability
- Longer warranties now available on many models
Independent Testing ENERGY STAR partners back up their claim of energy efficiency via third party inspections and verification of the energy performance of home
Home Owner Benefits
- Peace of mind
- Easily identify truly energy efficient homes through government backed ENERGY STAR label
- Lower ownership cost
- More comfortable home
ENERGY STAR homes use less energy for heating cooling and water heating saving $200-$400 annually on utility bills and additional savings on maintenance
Properly installed energy-efficient improvements deliver better protection against cold, heat, drafts, moisture, pollution, and noise
- Helps ensure consistent temperatures between and across rooms
- Improves indoor air quality
- Greater durability
By choosing a home with the ENERGY STAR label, you can be confident that it will have an increasingly valued feature when the time comes to sell
Over 2,000 home builders have partnered with EPA to construct 250,000 qualified homes
By decades end, more than 2 million homes are expected to earn ENERGY STAR label
- The less energy we use in our homes, the less air pollution we generate
- Energy used in our homes comes from burning of fossil fuels at power plants, contributing to smog, acid rain, and global warming
- ENERGY STAR homes meet strict energy efficient guidelines, preventing greenhouse gas emissions
Cornerstone Energy Conservation Services, Ohio’s largest ENERGY STAR Rater, is helping customers build and sell more ENERGY STAR homes than anyone else. :
Our experience working with contractors allows us to confidently offer homebuilders:
- Prompt service
- One-stop shopping
Right now, you may be eligible for a $2,000 tax credit for each energy efficient home we help you build!
ENERGY STAR qualified homes offer home buyers all the features they want in a new home and energy-efficient improvements, delivering:
- Better performance
- Greater comfort
- Lower utility bills
With the right products, we help streamline operations by allowing more quality time with customers. Cornerstone stands by it name by guarantying its quality work.
- Shower Doors
- Closet Shelving
- Heavy Glass Doors
- Door Hardware
- Bathroom Accessories
- Closet Accessories
- Gutter Products
- Insulation Products
- Energy Star Waterproofing
- Foundation Products
- Electric Fireplaces
We look forward to working with you!